Dani Pedrosa made a last minute lunge for pole position ahead of tomorrow’s race in Malaysia, from Johann Zarco and championship contender Andrea Dovizioso.
Marc Marquez – who currently leads the championship, will start from row three after a crash on his first flying lap sent him back into pit lane and back out on his second bike. He couldn’t seem to find the pace, and will start from seventh for the race, and will need to work hard if he wants to wrap up the championship this weekend.
Provisional pole constantly switched, with Johann Zarco the first to take to the top. Pedrosa quickly responded with a 59.5, with Valentino Rossi, Dovizioso and Zarco again following suit until Pedrosa wrapped it up at the very last second, setting a stunning 1:59.212 – the fastest we’ve seen all weekend.
- Dani Pedrosa, Repsol Honda Team – 1:59.212
- Johann Zarco, Monster Yamaha Tech 3 +0.017
- Andrea Dovizioso, Ducati Team +0.024
- Valentino Rossi, Movistar Yamaha MotoGP +0.286
- Maverick Viñales, Movistar Yamaha MotoGP +0.326
- Jorge Lorenzo, Ducati Team +0.410
- Marc Marquez, Repsol Honda Team +0.482
- Alex Rins, Team Suzuki Ecstar +0.780
- Andrea Iannone, Team Suzuki Ecstar +0.907
- Cal Crutchlow, LCR Honda +0.969
- Jack Miller, EG 0,0 Marc VDS +1.114
- Pol Espargaro, Red Bull KTM Factory Racing