Shane ‘Shakey’ Byrne – Be Wiser Ducati – took both wins this weekend at the Snetterton 300 circuit at Round 5 of the MCE British Superbike Championship.
After starting the race from pole position, Byrne managed to take his 78th race win after taking the lead on lap 5. After battling with the front runners, Byrne also managed to set the fastest lap of the race on lap 12 with a time of 1:47.759. Taking the second spot on the podium was Anvil Hire TAG Yamaha rider, Josh Brookes who finished 3.295s behind the race winner. It was Jason O’Halloran who claimed the final step on the rostrum on his Honda Racing machine 4.403s behind Brookes and 7.698s behind race winner Shane Byrne.
With just 0.187s difference between him and O’Halloran, Leon Haslam- JG Speedfit Kawasaki- narrowly missed out on the podium on his return race after missing out at R4 due to injury.
It was heartbreak for James Ellison – McAMS Yamaha – who sadly had to retire from race one due to technical problems. His teammate- Michael Laverty- finished the race in 12th place.
In his first race in the MCE British Superbike Championship, Andy Reid finished in 17th place on his Tyco BMW with his teammate Josh Elliot finishing in 15th.
Results (top 5):
- Shane Byrne – Be Wiser Ducati – 28:56.720
- Josh Brookes – Anvil Hire TAG Racing Yamaha – +3.295
- Jason O’Halloran – Honda Racing – +7.68
- Leon Haslam – JG Speedfit Kawasaki – +7.885
- Dan Linfoot – Honda Racing – +11.656
Once again Shane Byrne on his Be Wiser Ducati machinery reigned supreme in race two at Snetterton, after battling it out with Josh Brookes when he got the hole shot. Similar to race one, Byrne managed to fend off Josh Brookes, Jason O’Halloran and James Ellison to take first place for the second time in one day. However, after technical issues in race one, James Ellison’s disasters continued as he fell from his McAMS Yamaha machine. Josh Brookes once again took his Anvil Hire TAG Yamaha machine into second place only 0.686s behind Byrne. In third was Jason O’Halloran on his Honda Racing machine 7.701s behind Byrne.
After his maiden victories at R4 at Knockhill, Jake Dixon took 4th place on his RAF Regular and Reserve Kawasaki machine only 0.560s behind third place man O’Halloran. John Hopkins was only 0.283s behind Dixon on his Moto Rapido Ducati machinery.
Taking the fastest lap of the race was once again Shane Byrne with a lap time of 1:47.143s.
Results (top 5):
- Shane Byrne – Be Wiser Ducati – 28:54.231
- Josh Brookes – Anvil Hire TAG Racing Yamaha – +0.686
- Jason O’Halloran – Honda Racing – +7.701
- Jake Dixon – RAF Regular and Reserve Kawasaki – 8.261
- John Hopkins – Moto Rapido Ducati – +8.544
Championship standings after round 5 (top 6):
- Luke Mossey – JG Speedfit Kawasaki – 147pts
- Shane Byrne – Be Wiser Ducati – 140pts
- Leon Haslam – JG Speedfit Kawasaki – 132pts
- Josh Brookes – Anvil Hire TAG Racing Yamaha – 118pts
- Jason O’Halloran – Honda Racing – 115pts
- Peter Hickman – Smiths Racing BMW – 93pts