Five-time BSB champion Shane Byrne secured his first pole position of the season at Oulton Park today. With only one race finish out of four, Byrne arrived at Oulton knowing he has to defend his title.
Shakey aboard his Be Wiser Ducati will start from pole position after topping the times with a 1m 34.016s lap.
JG Speedfit Kawasaki rider Leon Haslam pulled a 1m 34.200s which got him second place on the grid, but couldn’t gain on Shakey’s time. Haslam’s teammate Luke Mossey took third place on the grid after his double wins at Brands Hatch two weeks ago, with a lap time of 1m 34.744s.
Returning Josh Brookes heads row 2 of the grid on his Anvil Hire Yamaha with Glenn Irwin on his Be Wiser Ducati and Jake Dixon on his RAF Reserves Kawasaki.
Both the McAMS Yamaha riders – James Ellison and Michael Laverty – appear to be struggling on the Cheshire track with Ellison starting from 15th and Laverty from 21st on the grid.
The first three rows are as follows-
1. Shane Byrne 1m 34.016s (Be Wiser Ducati)
2. Leon Haslam +0.184 (JG Speedfit Kawasaki)
3. Luke Mossey +0.728 (JG Speedfit Kawasaki)
4. Josh Brookes +0.927 (Anvil Hire TAG Yamaha)
5. Glenn Irwin +0.939 (Be Wiser Ducati)
6. Jake Dixon +0.953 (RAF Reserves Kawasaki)
7. Jason O’Halloran +0.978 (Honda Racing)
8. Peter Hickman +0.997 (Smiths Racing BMW)
9. Christian Iddon +1.175 (Tyco BMW)